Advantages And Disadvantages Of The Internet
Advantages And Disadvantages Of The Internet – When asked about the world’s largest source of information today, many people will answer Google. But is Google the right answer? Basically, Google is just a search engine that provides a lot of information, but all that cannot be done without access to the Internet. It is undeniable that the Internet has become a basic human need in modern times, even the largest business sector today is in the realm of the internet.
Examples include Facebook, Google, Amazon, YouTube, Go-Jek, Tokopedia, and many more. Because of this, many people have started to crawl into the digital realm in building their businesses in many sectors. Then what is the Internet? Why is an online communication network able to attract the attention of many people and even become a promising new business tool?
What Is The Internet?
In general definition, the Internet is a global communication network that is connected to electronic media to connect with each other into a single network. On the Internet itself there are also various types of information such as News, Business, Entertainment, and so on. The Internet, allows users to obtain information through the electronic media they use, such as laptops, smartphones, tablets, PCs, and the like. In addition, there are still various applications on the internet that can be used as information services.
Also Read: Advantages and Disadvantages of Google Docs
Even the internet allows users to know events in a region at the same time, even though the users are in different locations. Coupled with the emergence of new sites, providing opportunities for everyone to take advantage of applications from the internet in the world of work and business, you could say the Internet has almost become the backbone of the world economy in the field of business & information.
Understanding the Internet according to experts
For a deeper understanding, experts provide their opinions and ideas regarding the definition of the Internet as follows:
- Ahmadi and Hermawan. The Internet is a global communication network that connects all computers in the world, even though they have different operating systems and machines.
- Onno W. Purbo. Explains that the Internet is basically a medium that is used to streamline a communication process that is connected to various applications, such as the Web, VoIP, and E-mail.
- Randall & Latulipe. Defines what we know as the internet as a global network contained in computer networks.
- Ramdhani. Saying that the internet is a term for a collection of computer networks that can connect various academic, government, commercial, organizational, and individual sites.
- Ned Snell. According to him, the internet is a corridor for various types of resources available to it, and each of these resources is accessed through different devices.
Understanding the Internet according to other sources
Not only do experts define the Internet according to their ideas, but so do trusted sources. For example, some of the following sources:
- Federal Networking Council (FNC). Giving the opinion that the internet refers to a global information system, which is logically connected to a unique address based on the internet protocol (IP).
- Oxford Dictionary. Become one of the most trusted international dictionaries as a guide in finding a lot of information. In his explanation, it is stated that the internet is a global computer network that provides various information and communication facilities, consisting of an interconnection network using standard communication protocols.
- Wikipedia. Explains that the Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks using the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to connect devices around the world. The internet itself consists of many different networks so that it can present a lot of information such as private, public, academic, business, and local government to a global scope.
Also Read: Pros And Cons Of Social Media
Difference between the Internet, Intranet, and Extranet
Although the Internet is the most used source of digital information in the world, in fact, there are still two types of information technology networks known today, namely intranets and extranets.
An intranet is an information technology network that is narrower and more private than the internet that connects various computer networks from around the world. While the intranet only connects a few computers that are in a particular computer network. You could say an Intranet is part of the internet but not vice versa. The use of Intranet itself is mostly used as an internal company network built using internet technology. The architecture of the intranet is a web application and uses the TCP/IP protocol.
An extranet is a private network that uses internet protocols and a public telecommunications system that functions to share some business or operating information securely with suppliers (distributors), vendors (sellers), partners (partners), customers (clients), and others. In short, an extranet is an intranet that can be accessed by several people from outside or shared by more than one organization. The difference is that extranets are slightly wider than intranets and are able to create private networks where people with an interest in the company or organization, both internal and external, can connect and exchange information.
Although currently, the Internet has grown very rapidly and sophisticatedly, at first the Internet was a computer network formed by the United States Department of Defense in 1969, through an ARPA project called the ARPANET (Advanced Research Project Agency Network). They demonstrated UNIX-based computer hardware and software, capable of communicating over an infinite distance over telephone lines.
The initial purpose of this project was military purposes. At that time the United States Department of Defense (US Department of Defense) made a computer network system that was spread by connecting computers in vital areas to solve problems in the event of a nuclear attack and to avoid centralized information, which if war broke out it could be easily destroyed.
Components of the Internet
- E-mail is the main component that is most widely used in information communication in the form of e-mail messages today. It can be said that almost all Internet network users around the world have an E-mail address for their various purposes.
- The World Wide Web (WWW) is a server system from the internet that supports “hypertext” applications in providing access to several internet protocol interfaces. Now hypertext on the web has developed into hypermedia. Hypermedia itself allows users to link text, images, audio, and video on the web.
- Archie is a tool for indexing FTP archives and allows users to easily identify specific files. Archie It is also considered to be the world’s first Internet search engine.
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a protocol that is in charge of bridging the exchange of data on computers. You can find out how FTP works when you want to download or upload files, without FTP these activities will be difficult to do.
- The shell is an interactive command language and scripting language used by the operating system to control system execution using shell scripts. Simply put, the shell is a program that connects the user with the operating system (core operating system).
The Purpose of the Internet
1. Facilitate access to information and communication
As is well known, the Internet currently supports communication between humans through intermediaries such as social media, electronic mail (email), Chat (WA), news, and audio or video transmission. it even allows one to work collaboratively in many different locations at the same time.
2. Facilitate human activities and performance
Google is a real example of a product that develops various multi-functional tools that are connected to each other with the Gmail account that the user has. One of the tools made by Google that helps human activities is Google Maps, an application developed by Google that is always available anytime and anywhere to guide users to the right destination address. Now, online transportation services rely on Google Maps as a means of supporting their livelihoods
3. Unlock new worlds
If you look back at least 10 years ago, then you will realize that we are now living in a time where humans depend on digital media and the Internet. Even the need for data packages to access the virtual world today is able to make someone prioritize it as a primary need such as clothing and food. Even so, the positive side that is caused is that humans can live quickly and practically.
Functions and Benefits of The Internet
As for the benefits that can be obtained from using the Internet, for example, the need for telecommunications and information is much faster and more practical. In addition, not a few use the internet as their business field. Here’s more detailed information.
- Entertainment. The Internet provides access to unlimited entertainment. You can watch movies, and videos, play online games, listen to music, etc.
- Online shopping. Another advantage of the internet is online shopping, which allows you to find products to buy without having to visit stores and waste your time and energy.
- Location information. The Internet can help users to provide information in almost any location in the world with the help of GPS technology. You can even find interesting tourist areas with the fastest route to that location.
- Knowledge and learning. The Internet allows one to learn information on any topic and provide answers to all kinds of questions because on the Internet there is an endless variety of up-to-date information.
- Instant communication. With the Internet, you can email important information to anyone around the world. Or make a video call that lets you chat face-to-face.
- Online business. If you want to sell products and services or run a business, the internet is the best place to sell and offer what you have. Because nowadays anyone can find and access various online buying and selling sites around the world with the help of the Internet.
- Digital storage. One of the biggest advantages of the Internet is that it can offer you connectivity between computers and Internet-enabled devices to connect with Cloud services, such as Cloud Computing.
- Freelancers. There are many different types of online services that can help you communicate and freelance with anyone around the world. That’s why the Internet offers you the advantage of working online.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of The Internet
Of course, when viewed in terms of the benefits obtained, the Internet does have extraordinary advantages to support daily productivity. But that doesn’t mean the Internet doesn’t have its drawbacks. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of the Internet.
Advantages Of The Internet
- Provides instant communication using email and instant messaging services anywhere in the world.
Increase business interactions and transactions that save you time.
- You can access the latest news from any part of the world without relying on TV or newspapers like newspapers.
- Applying for jobs is also easier because most vacancies are advertised online through various sites or web apps.
Education has received a huge boost as countless books and journals are available online and easily accessible.
Disadvantages Of The Internet
- Some irresponsible people use the internet to hack other people’s accounts for criminal purposes. These activities include stealing data or banking information from the victim.
- Many vile people misuse the internet to spread hoaxes, hate, and terrorist news that make people restless.
- Social media addiction; such as TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and so on that can interfere with someone’s life, both personally and environmentally.
- One can easily access illegal as well as inappropriate content as it is freely available on the Internet.
The Internet is a means and media with various sources of unlimited information. But keep in mind that the Internet can be a double-edged sword depending on whether you can use the internet properly or not. As users, humans must have control and knowledge in using the Internet, know how to secure accounts, be able to check whether the information is a hoax or not, and be careful when transacting digitally.
So a brief review that the author can give about the understanding, history, benefits, and goals of the Internet. Share the article on your social media to make it more useful. If you have any questions or opinions regarding the reviews above, please write them in the comments column below. Thanks.