Advantages and Disadvantages of Microsoft Edge – When it comes to web browsers, the ones that are heard the most and the most widely used are Google Chrome and Firefox. But did you know that now a new browser has emerged with better features and advantages than Google Chrome and Firefox, its name is Microsoft Edge. Microsoft Edge is the best browser that Microsoft launched to replace Internet Explorer which failed to provide functionality and experience for its users.
Microsoft Edge is the beginning of browser technology updates and advancements developed by Microsoft. In terms of features and extensions, Microsoft Edge is a browser whose development is based on Chromium so Google Chrome extensions will support Microsoft Edge. Want to know more about Microsoft Edge, its history, features, and advantages and disadvantages, check out the full review below.
- What is Microsoft Edge?
- Features and Benefits of Microsoft Edge
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Microsoft Edge
What is Microsoft Edge?
Microsoft Edge is a browser developed by Microsoft based on Chromium with the code Project Spartan (initially) and released in January 2020. Microsoft Edge is a part and replacement of Internet Explorer on Windows 10 as the default browser. Microsoft Edge is designed as a lightweight web browser with a user interface that complies with web standards.
In its explanation, Microsoft removed support for legacy technologies such as ActiveX, extension support, and full integration with other Microsoft products such as Cortana assistant and OneDrive. In the future, Microsoft Edge will also become the default browser for Windows 10 Phones in an improved version. For now, Microsoft Edge is available on iOS and Android platforms.
“Spartan” was first made available on Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10049 on March 30, 2015. In that version, “Spartan” is still part of Internet Explorer 11. Microsoft Edge was introduced to the public at the Build Conference on April 29, 2015. Microsoft officially introduced Spartan as Microsoft Edge. The logo and branding are indeed made similar to Internet Explorer so that users know that Microsoft Edge is a web browser.
Features and Benefits of Microsoft Edge
The main feature of Microsoft Edge is its integration with Cortana and Bing, which speeds up the search process based on spoken keywords. The front page of Microsoft Edge also looks more attractive and can be customized based on interests and preferences, including news content, themes, and font size. Check out some other interesting features of Microsoft Edge below.
1. Connect with Cortana
Cortana is an AI (Artificial Intelligence)-based intelligent personal assistant created by Microsoft to help Windows 10 users do many things. Cortana integration in Microsoft Edge will help users in searching for something without having to type in the desired keywords. Cortana is connected to the Bing search engine so that all the searches a user wants will be done through Bing quickly and instantly.
To use it, you need to enable the systemwide Cortana feature, and change the Advance Setting setting to “Get Cortana to assist me in Microsoft Edge”.
2. Costume look and theme
In addition to configuration with the Cortana feature, users can customize the appearance and themes of Microsoft Edge. Users can make changes to the appearance through the Microsoft Edge “Settings Page” home page. Currently, Microsoft Edge provides Dark and Light views. It is possible, that Microsoft will add another style so that the choice of themes is more varied.
On the front page and new tabs, users can also customize the appearance with Focus, Inspirational, and Informational options, and can also do costumes in several parts according to their interests and preferences.
3. Collections and notes
With Microsoft Edge, users are also possible to add collections (Collections) on web pages. To do this, users can click the Collections button at the top, then add the desired page. Users can also add small notes, share pages on Microsoft 365, and more.
In addition, users can also add notes on the selected page, doodle-like in Paint, edit, opening in a new tab, InPrivate, and much more.
4. Reading Mode
Microsoft Edge also provides a reading mode feature to make it easier for users to read articles. Users can use Reading Mode by clicking the Immersive Reader or F9 button next to the URL. Interestingly, users can also take advantage of the Read aloud (audio) feature. Read aloud is a feature to read articles in audio mode, so users don’t need to read articles, just listen.
In addition, users can also set the text size, spacing, and background color through the Text Preferences feature. This feature will make it easier for users to adjust the reading mode according to their needs and convenience.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Microsoft Edge
One of the advantages of Microsoft Edge is that in terms of speed and battery usage, it is more efficient than Google Chrome and Firefox. This has been proven and has been tested. Want to know more about the advantages and disadvantages of Microsoft Edge, here’s the list:
Advantages of Microsoft Edge
- Lighter. Microsoft Edge was developed with the aim of being a lighter and more functional browser than other browsers. Built on Chromium, Microsoft Edge is currently the lightest browser (with less memory usage and less battery) than Google Chrome and Firefox.
- Integration with Microsoft products. Microsoft strives to have all of its products integrated with one another. Through Microsoft Edge, users can use Microsoft cloud-based products such as Microsoft 365, Cortana, and third-party extensions.
- More attractive appearance. At first glance, Microsoft Edge does look like Google Chrome. However, Microsoft Edge has added some features to customize the look and theme according to your needs and desires.
- Better functionality. When using Microsoft Edge, functionality and productivity are maximized. Users can take advantage of several excellent features that are not available in other browsers such as Reading List, Notes, Immersive Reader, Cortana, and others.
- Support for Developers. Microsoft Edge is built to make it easier for developers to develop their applications/webs. Developer Tools comes with a variety of features that are more complete than other browsers. One of them is 3D View to see the appearance of a web page in 3D mode.
Disadvantages of Microsoft Edge
- Does not support Windows 10 and below. Unfortunately, Microsoft Edge does not fully support versions of Windows 10 and below such as Windows 8.1, 8, and 7. Windows 7 and 8 users can still use Microsoft Edge, but the functionality is not as great as Windows 10.
- Access Google products are still more leveraged with Google Chrome. If you want to access Google products like Google Docs, Google Meet, Google Drive, and more, then Google Chrome is still the best choice.
- The extension is still Beta. As of now, Microsoft Edge Add-ons are still in beta status. But going forward, Microsoft Edge Extension will be the best because it integrates with Extensions on other browsers such as Firefox and Google Chrome.
From all the explanations about Microsoft Edge above, it can be concluded that Microsoft Edge is one of the new browsers built on Chromium that has functionality and integration with Microsoft products and extensions from third parties. Microsoft Edge can be a new browser choice for doing online activities with features that are not available in other browsers.
That’s brief information about the meaning of Microsoft Edge along with its features, benefits, advantages, and disadvantages, hopefully, it can add insight for all of us. Share this article on your social media to make it more useful and useful. If there is something you want to ask or convey, please write it in the comments column below. Thank you and good luck!
Is Microsoft Edge Free?
Of course, you can download and use Microsoft Edge for free.
Can Microsoft Edge work on Windows 7?
Some information says that Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 can be installed on Microsoft Edge, but the functionality is not as great as Windows 10.
Where to download Microsoft Edge?
You can download Microsoft Edge via the microsoft.com/en-us/edge page, for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS (iPhone).