Advantages and Disadvantages of Google Docs – If we want to create or edit a document, perhaps what often comes to our mind is the Microsoft Word program. This program made by Microsoft has always been a mainstay when it comes to creating documents. But did you know that there are various web app programs that also have the same function as Microsoft Word, one of which is Google Docs?
The development of the Office program runs so significantly. Unexpectedly, the use of Cloud-based Office programs is increasing. Google Docs is one of the Cloud-based Office programs that are currently an alternative for creating documents quickly and efficiently. If you want to know more about Google Docs, see the full understanding and explanation below.
- What Is Google Docs?
- Functions and Benefits of Google Docs
- Key features of Google Docs
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Google Docs
What Is Google Docs?
Google Docs is Google’s cloud-based word processing service. Users can use Google Docs services for free from the docs.google.com site or through Google Drive. Apart from being available as a web app, Google Docs is also available as an app for Android, iOS, Windows, Blackberry, and also a desktop program for Chrome OS. Users can create or edit doc files with a maximum storage limit of 1GB per file.
Google Docs allows users to work on documents with a team (collaboration) in real-time. Users are also free to do permissions, whether other users (friends/teams) can edit or only view (read). The Google Docs system also shows an activity log of each edit/revision.
Almost all the latest browsers currently support Google Docs such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Apple Safari. Google Docs is also equipped with a spelling error checking feature such as Microsoft Word so as to reduce errors when writing words/sentences. Google Docs is also equipped with machine learning features that can provide experience and convenience in creating documents.
Google Docs supports a variety of document formats such as .doc, .docx, .docm .dot, .dotx, .dotm, .html, .txt, .rtf, .odt, and most other Microsoft Office formats.
Functions and Benefits of Google Docs
1. Create documents anywhere and anytime
In the past, when you wanted to create a document, you had to be in front of your computer or laptop and have Microsoft Office programs installed. But currently creating or editing documents can be anywhere and anytime, either via a computer, laptop, smartphone, or tablet. Google Docs makes it easy for users to save all tasks and work to Google Drive Cloud Storage.
Users no longer need to carry a USB Drive everywhere, just upload documents to Google Drive and then reopen the document at the office or campus if needed later.
2. Support large Cloud Storage
Google is one of the technology companies that provides the largest free cloud storage compared to other technology companies. So users don’t have to worry about running out of space when creating documents in Google Docs. In one file, Google Docs limits each file to a maximum size of 1GB. Documents are relatively small in size so getting to 1GB per file is very rare.
Google Drive provides up to 15GB of storage space, which is only used for storing documents would be more than enough. If it still feels lacking, users can upgrade to a bigger package. Or it could be by using other Cloud Storage such as Dropbox which also supports Google Docs Cloud storage.
3. Can be used for PDF file conversion
Editing PDF files is indeed quite difficult to do without additional applications/software such as Adobe Acrobat and the like. However, by using Google Docs, users can convert it into .docx format so that editing can be done. To do this, users simply open the file using Google Docs and then click File » Download » Microsoft Word (.docx).
4. Support format Microsoft Office
No need to worry when creating documents using Microsoft Word and then switching to Google Docs. Because basically Google Docs supports various formats from Microsoft Word. There are many document formats that support Google Docs such as .doc, .docx, .docm .dot, .dotx, .dotm, .html, plain text (.txt), .rtf, .odt, .pdf, .epub, and many more.
The author’s experience when creating documents using Microsoft Word and then switching to Google Docs did not cause any problems at all, even the functions of the table of contents, headings, images, layouts, and others did not change and were not damaged.
Key features of Google Docs
Google Docs brings many features that can make it easier and faster for users to complete work/tasks. Check out some of the main features of Google Docs below.
- Integration with Google Drive automatically. The convenience offered by Google Docs is that users can save all documents to Google Drive. When entering the Google Docs worksheet, users do not need to click Save or CTRL + S, Google Docs works automatically in saving documents in real-time.
- Share documents to collaborate. Through the Share feature, users can add members by email or write their names. Users can also share the link so that it can be accessed publicly. This collaboration feature will make it easier for users to complete documents more quickly and efficiently.
- History for each change. Users can see changes from each edit or revision made. Click File » Version history, in that section you can see all the logs that the user did.
- Add-on support for Google Docs. Currently, Google Docs is equipped with an Add-on (Plug-in) feature that can later help users solve problems or things that Google Docs cannot do by default.
- Spelling and grammar. Users can take advantage of spelling and grammar to reduce word/sentence writing errors. This kind of feature is also available on Microsoft Office products.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Google Docs
Every application or program must have advantages and disadvantages, including Google Docs itself. In terms of functions and benefits, Google Docs is indeed very helpful for users in doing tasks/work. But how about the advantages and disadvantages, here’s a list.
Advantages of Google Docs
- No installation is required. Because it’s cloud-based, users don’t need to install Google Docs on a computer or laptop. This is certainly a distinct advantage so that users do not have to worry about errors when the program is run or have problems in the future.
- Support on many browsers. Users can access Google Docs from a variety of popular browsers today such as Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and others.
- A mobile version is available. Google Docs is also available for mobile devices based on Android and iOS. Users can download the Google Docs application from Google Play (Android) and the App Store (iPhone).
- Access documents with friends/teams. Users can collaborate with teams in working on documents. Grant document access via the Share feature and add team/friend/member email.
Disadvantages of Google Docs
- Features are still limited. Although it is very good in all the functions and advantages, Google Docs features are still very standard and limited. Unlike Microsoft Word, which has many editing features to plug-ins that can speed up document creation.
- No desktop version is available. Unfortunately, Google Docs is not yet available for desktop versions for Windows and Mac, only available for Chrome OS. So for offline use, the choice is still better than Microsoft Word.
From all the explanations above, it can be concluded that Google Docs is a cloud-based word processing service owned by Google and can be used for free. Google Docs provides the same .docx document creation and editing services as Microsoft Word and the like. Service information and tips on using Google Docs can be accessed by users here.
That’s the understanding of Google Docs and its functions and benefits. Share articles on your social media to make them more useful and useful. If there is something you need to ask or convey, please write in the comments column below. Thank you and good luck!
Is Google Docs free?
Of course, you can use Google Docs for free from any device and browser.
How do I use Google Docs?
You can use Google Docs by going to the docs.google.com page or through the Android and iOS apps.
Do Microsoft Word documents support Google Docs?
Of course, documents created or edited using Microsoft Word are fully supported by Google Docs.